Why is Mel Shaw still in prison

Carehome worker jailed for six years for assault on child
Operation Equinox is Nottinghamshire Police’s dedicated team investigating allegations of historical abuse of children at children’s homes

BY HANNAH MITCHELL
19:54, 6 DEC 2017UPDATED13:39, 29 JAN 2018

THE DIFFERENT TYPES OF PRISON SENTENCES
A former children’s residential home worker has been jailed for six years after being found guilty of indecent assault and indecency with a child.

Barrie Pick, 74, of Peveril Drive, The Park, worked at Beechwood Children’s Home, in Mapperley, at the time of the offences in the 1970s.

 

Pick originally denied the offences, but was found guilty by a jury at Nottingham Crown Court today ( December 6) of two charges of indecent assault on a child and two charges of indecency with a child.

The convictions relate to the same victim – a boy under the age of 14.

 

READ MORE
Two men in court for laundering some of the proceeds of a £95k phone bank scam
Pick was found not guilty of one charge of indecency with a child.

Detective Constable Richard Jones, from Operation Equinox, said: “Pick abused his position of authority at the children’s home to target this boy.

Barrie-Pick.jpg
Barrie Pick
“He should have been ensuring the children under his care were given the best possible start in life, instead he subjected this boy to these horrendous offences.

 

“I want to praise the survivor for showing real bravery in coming forward to talk about what happened to him.”

NEWS FROM THE COURTS

Burglar in jail after breaking into home

Would-be robber said sentence was harsh

‘Control freak’ threatened to kill

Mamba user burgled home
Pick had previously admitted six charges of possessing indecent photographs of children.

He today received a six-month prison sentence for each of those offences, all of which will run concurrently with the six-year sentence.

Operation Equinox is Nottinghamshire Police’s dedicated team investigating allegations of historical abuse of children at children’s homes and other institutions in Nottingham and Nottinghamshire.

Chief superintendent Rob Griffin, strategic lead for Operation Equinox, said: “Thirteen people have now been charged in connection with Operation Equinox, and so far six of these have been convicted.

READ MORE
Jail for drug dealer who punched two police officers
“There are a number of other investigations ongoing into allegations of historical abuse of children and we are determined to seek justice for anyone who has been affected.

“This case demonstrates that we take this issue extremely seriously and even though these offences happened many years ago our dedicated team’s meticulous investigations can lead to prison sentences for those responsible.”

Follow @Nottingham_Post
VIEW FULL MOBILE PAGE
MORE ON
Child Abuse InquiryNottinghamshire PoliceCrimeCourts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *