A commentary on the case of Abdelbaset al-Megrahi, convicted of the murder of 270 people in the Pan Am 103 disaster.
FRIDAY, 28 APRIL 2017
Lockerbie bomb families in plea to reconsider evidence
[This is the headline over a report published in today’s edition of The National. It reads in part:]
A doctor whose daughter died in the bombing of Pan Am Flight 103 over Lockerbie has said that the right of families to know the truth about what happened is being blocked by the authorities’ failure to re-examine evidence from the trial in the Netherlands, which led to the conviction of Abdelbaset al-Megrahi for the atrocity.
Jim Swire, who lost his daughter Flora in the 1988 bombing, is among a number of victims’ relatives who believe Libyan Megrahi – who died in 2012 – was innocent.
In an open letter published on the Intel Today website, he said the evidence now appears to show that the bomb was loaded on to the flight at London Heathrow and not Malta.
That was a key part of the prosecutors’ case against Megrahi at the Camp Zeist trial, which heard from a Maltese shopkeeper who said he had sold the Libyan clothing that was found wrapped around the device. (…) [RB: The full text of Dr Swire’s letter can be read here.]
Megrahi’s family said earlier this week they would pursue a further appeal to clear his name.
Meanwhile, pressure group Justice for Megrahi (JfM) is still awaiting the results of the Operation Sandwood investigation by Police Scotland into nine criminal allegations it made against police and others involved in the initial investigation and trial.
JfM member and former police officer Iain McKie, said: “We have never been in a better place for getting to the truth. Sandwood has been a dedicated investigation by Police Scotland and its final report will be a seminal document.”
A spokesperson for the Crown Office and Procurator Fiscal Service (COPFS) told The National: “The only appropriate forum for the determination of guilt or innocence is the criminal court, and Mr Megrahi was convicted unanimously by three senior judges. His conviction was upheld unanimously by five judges, in an appeal court presided over by the Lord Justice General, Scotland’s most senior judge. As the investigation against others who were acting with Megrahi in this Libyan plot remains live, it would not be appropriate to offer further comment.”
- About us …28 April, 2017Reply
- A spokesperson for the Crown Office and Procurator Fiscal Service (COPFS) told The National: “… As the investigation against others who were acting with Megrahi in this Libyan plot remains live, it would not be appropriate to offer further comment.”
I recall no evidence whatever produced by the prosecution during the trial which identifies joint action by Megrahi with those “others”. Could it be that the Crown are seeking reasons to delay any second appeal on the grounds that the investigation against Megrahi is still “live”? Time will tell.
- Quincey Riddle28 April, 2017Reply
- COPFS and others will do whatever they can to conjure up excuses not to deviate from their chosen path in order to save their bacon. The fact is that they are fundamentally corrupt insofar as they are maintaining this so called ‘live’ investigation to identify al Megrahi’s fictitious co conspirators. This nonsense has been par for the course for a very long time. Patrick Shearer, Chief Constable of Dumfries and Galloway Constabulary, informed me in hushed tones at his headquarters way back when that following his consultation with that supreme buffoon Mulholland that he would be dropping our allegations regarding the infamous shard of PCB from his investigation of our allegations. Whether Shearer was thick or just plain obstructive, I suspect the latter, he simply could/would not grasp the fact that the Crown’s fantastical eyewash was an entirely different case from our own and that no cross contamination should be brooked. Thankfully Police Scotland was formed and Sir Stephen House did understand this, and duly set up Operation Sandwood.