At The Hub O’the Universe. A Free House Internet Tavern, Hotel and Fine Dining Restaurant.
Pin & Balloon Bar (456) Oz Rooms (392) US Room (351) UK Rooms (268) Spirits Bar (201) Canadian Room (54)Patio (43) Music Room (39) Rest-of-the-World (34) NZ Room (30) Crypt (25) Irish Bar. (25) French Room (21) Restaurant (15)
Friday, November 25, 2016
Salute, Anna Raccoon
The mood in the Tavern was muted all day. The bright sunshine outside was not mirrored by the customers sitting and looking into their tankards. The news had come through that a most beloved ‘competitor’ had closed her Pub.
She has not been well.
I must have mentioned the Raccoon Arms a good few times before. And its fine Landlady Anna Raccoon. There are several fine ale houses around and I frequently dropped by Anna’s place to see what was going on.
As is ‘usual’ in the blogosphere, that was not her real name. She was, in fact, Susanne Cameron-Blackie, a retired Lawyer and Englishwoman resident in her beloved Dordogne, France. In the past few years, during which her output regarding nefarious going-on especially in the UK and especially around the child abuse / celebrities hysteria was prodigeous, Anna has suffered bouts of Cancer which have been debilitating.
It has all become too much, it seems and she has decided to stop and rest.
She did put ip a notice on the locked door to the pub. It read:
Parish Notice.by ANNA RACCOON on NOVEMBER 23, 2016Morning all! Listen up.The events of the past few weeks have been pretty exhausting. On a personal level, on a health level, and finally on the level of this blog.The news from the Doctors yesterday was not good – yet I am still here. They don’t know why!I simply don’t have the spare energy to do this any longer. If I needed any further persuasion, having the blog hijacked by God, Beelzebub, Jesus, and the Archbishop – whilst comedy gold, and I enjoyed the joke as much as anyone, was just the push I needed to say “Actually, I’m paying for this, I’m supporting it, I’m enabling it – why don’t I just stop it”?So. What I am going to do is this.First, and dearest to my heart, is to thank all those of you who have brought joy and entertainment into my heart. I have always been intensely proud of the majority of my commentators – they put thought, intelligence, wit, and common sense into their comments. You don’t often see that on other blogs. You have taught me so much, you have been endlessly patient with me, you have broadened my horizons immeasurably. I reckon this blog pretty much cornered the market in intelligent commentators. I salute you all.Secondly, to those who only wanted to taunt, insult, wound, either in public or from a distance. Your luck has run out – you’ve had your chance, and now I’m withdrawing. The fun is over. No more Ms Raccoon to tilt at.I don’t think it is right that I should ‘have the last word’ – so your right to reply will last exactly 24 hours. After which comments will close for good on all posts.On January 30 2017, the blog is primed to self combust. This platform is not like ‘Blogger’ or similar platforms, that float around in the internet long after they have been abandoned. I pay to have it hosted in Utah. Don’t pay – it doesn’t exist!Some of you may have good reason to want to preserve some of the excellent research that has been done here, by the commentators, as well as by me. You may be relying on the ‘wayback machine’ to allow you to access articles after the blog has vanished.A word of warning there. Much of the research links back to original documents. Over time, I have been made aware that some of those documents – the Surrey Police investigation into Savile to give you one example; the cache of documents concerning Surrey Police’s ‘arrest first, investigate afterwards’ policy, as another – have been removed from the internet. Where I have been able to, I have managed to find copies, or held copies myself, and have replaced the original links with a copy uploaded to my server with Bluehost.If any of those articles are of importance to you – do not rely on the links – download the linked material separately – for when the blog goes, my copy of those documents will go as well, and your saved page ‘with links’ will be worthless.There is nothing more to be said. This really is goodbye. I may tweet occasionally, I shall certainly watch the world go mad from a distance – and I shall spend a lot of time curled up next to Mr G for as long as I can.It came fast and caught many quite unawares.
Bill Stickers could barely comprehend it
One note of sadness for the day; Anna Raccoon has closed her blog. This time (it is said) for the very last time. Anna has been fighting cancer with a vim and verve one can only wonder at. The Raccoon Arms was a host to some particularly fine, whimsical, well researched and above all amusing writing. Now trying to link to the site, like with Counting Cats, throws up a ‘database error’. Which means the blog has been wiped, or is otherwise inaccessible. I will take them off the sidebar after New Year if there is no sign of a return. Guys, if you’re still breathing and have time to drop by, remember that your courage, integrity and skill with words has always been viewed (at least by me) with nothing but admiration. Ave atque vale.
But let the last word here be from Gildas the Monk who was a very staunch customer in Anna’s pub. And a fine chap too..
Dear Brothers and Sister of the BlogI am relatively new to the Blogosphere. I merely stumbled across it at a time of great personal crisis for me, whiling away the hours. I do not remember making any conscious choice to seek it out, but merely found a variety of sites which by varying degree amused, informed, provided catharsis and engaged.
However, the Anna Raccoon site was very special. If I say that the Blog had a Libertarian bent, I may be doing it an injustice. I am not a political expert, and have no fixed affiliations. What I discovered was a Blog which boasted a cadre of free thinking, independent minded commentators and freedom fighters.
Anna herself, of course, but also Thaddeus J. Wilson, Andrew P. Withers and others. Common themes were the protection of freedom, the exposure of injustice by the state, and the cause of the Common Man. The writing was always of the highest quality, and there was quantity too. I do know that Anna herself worked tirelessly to review a host of daily sources and keep up the volume of posts. And these were not your ordinary pithy internet posts, but full on eloquent essays. It was less of a blog and more of a magazine. Hell, it was almost a lifestyle!But it was never purely political. There could be a hilarious and moving essay Anna’s somewhat eccentric family one minute; a polemic on the evils of petty bureaucrats or foolish local councils the next, or a scabrous satire on a political figure and then a simple diary piece the next. There was wisdom, life experience, brilliance, insight, humour and courage. There was what the Romans called civic virtue.There was always vigorous debate, contribution and plenty of humour.Anna had a passion for the defence of the weak and for upholding liberty. In that regard she was in particular a hawkish observer and critic of the murky workings of the Court of Protection. She was an active campaigner too. She played a leading role in the campaign to free Landlord Nick Hogan from jail for breaching the anti smoking legislation, and recently smote the Stasi at the Sandwell Council, forcing them to withdraw their threat to prosecute a pensioner for allegedly dropping cigarette ash. On a personal level she was endlessly kind and encouraging to me, and even gave me the pleasure and the privilege of posting a few of my scribblings. She did recommend I should drink less, but I never said she was perfect.Anna has now hung up her blogging hat – for whatever reasons. We do not know, although I do know that keeping up such a prodigious output and maintaining the site, sometimes in the face of the abuse and backbiting that can come with blogging, was very, very hard work.She has departed, like (King) Arthur, silently and mysteriously into the mist, a great figure of courage and virtue no longer with us, but, I hope, not finally departed either. Perhaps she will return. She will certainly never be forgotten. And so I can think of no finer tribute to you Anna, if you read this, than to hail you thus:HIC ANNONA PROCYON LOTOR ERAT;REGINA BLOGGORUM QUONDAM REGINAQUE FUTURUS!Or in English:This was Anna Raccoon; the once and future queen of the blogs!Good luck Anna, from all of us.Gildas the Monk.I shall miss Anna.
I shall remember her.
Stand for a special Lady, and raise your tankards.
I shall be downstairs in the Crypt, saying a special Prayer for her.
- AmfortasFebruary 11, 2017 at 10:34 AM
- Did a bit of archery m’self. 🙂 I am happy to have a notice on your sidebar sir. Have a pint.
Ne meias in stragulo aut pueros circummittam.
Our Bouncer is a gentleman of muscle and guile. His patience has limits. He will check you at the door.
The Tavern gets rowdy visitors from time to time. Some are brain dead and some soul dead. They attack customers and the bar staff and piss on the carpets. Those people will not be allowed in anymore. So… Be Nice..
Links to this post
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Missing Hero Table
This Tavern is a Free House.. Made free by the Resurrection of my Supplier.
Welcome. Amfortas runs a Free House where Anglophile is spoken. Sample our bars and rooms; join the conversations.
If you become regulars we just might offer you a job in a bar or room. The pay is good. You might even be invited to beat the drum.
Drinks get TOPPED-UP here, for free.
So, CHECK old posts REGULARLY
to get MORE !
This Tavern is a place fit for Heroes and Saints, and assorted sinners on a path to restoration.
Talk to the Tavern-Keeper.
It is Vital to ask the Right and Fundamental Questions of Life and old men.
The Tavern is a refreshment stop on the Journey to the right answers.
Religion & Peace
AmfortasThe Knackered Old Knight, the wounded King. The Keeper-Emeritus of the Grail and now keeper of a Tavern. I wore Black Armour, not white, although there were quite Kingly gold and silver bits. I still do. But now I also have rolled-up sleeves and a towel. I still keep the Faith. Welcome to my Public House & Fine Dining. Here are to be found food for Soul and drink for the Spirit. And some Roughage too. I also contribute as an Author at the ‘Nourishing Obscurity’ blog; and as a ‘member’ at Anti-misandry.comView my complete profile
Once a Warrior
And the Soldier said: “Lord, I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof. But, only say the word and my servant shall be healed”.
Right and Wrong
From The Rubaiyat
- And, as the cock crew, those who stood before the Tavern shouted -“Open then the Door ! You know how little Time we have to stay, And once departed, may return no more.”
- And lately by the Tavern Door agape, Came shining through the Dusk an Angel Shape, Bearing a Vessel on his Shoulder: and He bid me taste of it: and ’twas – the Grape.
- Then said Another with a long-drawn sigh, “My Clay with long oblivion is gone dry: But, fill me with your old familiar Juice, Methinks I might recover by-and-by.”
- Ah, make the most of what we yet may spend, before we too into the Dust descend. Dust into Dust and under dust to lie, Sans Wine, sans Song, sans Singer, – and sans End”.
- Indeed the Idols I have loved so long, Have done my Credit in Men’s Eye much wrong: Have drown’d my Honour in a shallow Cup, And sold my Reputation for a Song.
Blood of Christ
The Grail in the Crypt
Pray the Rosary
and with me.
“ For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against Principalities, against Powers, against the Rulers of the Darkness of this world, against Spiritual Wickedness in high places. “
“To learn who rules over you, simply find out whom you are not allowed to criticize.”
Cum dilectione hominum et odio vitiorum
(Love the Sinner but not the Sin.)
Whom does the Grail Serve?
Things to Come
Contact Form to reach the Tavern Keeper, regarding personal matters and posts at THIS Tavern
The Media Lies.
Obey the Rules ?
Its a Sign, I tell you.
So, you the man, eh?
It’s Only Pain
- ► 2017 (73)
- ▼ 2016 (223)
- ► December(15)
- ▼ November(30)
- The Scourging of the Church
- Esther’s House
- The French are Revolting too.
- Its a Dog’s Life
- Salute, Anna Raccoon
- Cruise Ship Season
- Falling, Falling, Fun
- The Irish Are Revolting
- Another Institution Falls.
- The Man and the Tree
- He Played Golf. A Lot.
- 40 South: A Place to Celebrate.
- Revlon Down
- The Muse is Sick
- Honour where it is Due
- Music from the Crypt
- None So Blind
- The Long Shot & Lefty Mouths.
- What was it all for?
- Oh for a Change !
- And the Loser is……..
- President Trump: Hope & Change
- Shaking Cassie and Dispiriting Men
- Anti-Catholic Fires.
- The Great Civil Wars of 2017
- What the ‘News’ Won’t tell you
- Jessica – the Tavern Keeper’s Pilot
- Mr Jenner’s Splendid AirB&B
- Dining Out
- ► October (5)
- ► September(21)
- ► August (18)
- ► July (19)
- ► June (19)
- ► May (22)
- ► April (20)
- ► March (22)
- ► February (12)
- ► January (20)
- ► 2015 (175)
- ► 2014 (125)
- ► 2013 (225)
The Bucc is my Steed
The Tavern’s Knight Salutes
My Blog List
- Universe Today
- The Orbit of Neptune. How Long is a Year on Neptune? – Given its extreme distance from the Sun and slow orbital speed, a year on Neptune last as long as 164.5 years here on Earth. The post The Orbit of Neptun…9 minutes ago
- Fr. Z’s Blog
- A spiritual opportunity for Mother’s Day – I bring to the attention of the readership a great spiritual opportunity for mothers. The Shrine of Our Lady of Guadalupe near LaCrosse (build by Card. Bur…1 hour ago
- Climate change steals river -Overnight a river in Northern Canada disappeared. A glacier had retreated and allowed the water upstream to sneak out via a different path. The water now…1 hour ago
- nourishing obscurity
- Rachmaninov: Piano Concerto No.2 [Fedorova] -… More here …3 hours ago
- Catallaxy Files
- Trump the most ignorant president in history – He is right – Trump mimics the views of the person he most recently speaks to. He really is barking mad. At least George W Bush appreciated his limits. Tru…7 hours ago
- Australian Politics
- – *ZEG* In his latest offering, conservative Australian cartoonist ZEG is celebrating the demise of the “Safe Schools” program in NSW *Homosexual promo…7 hours ago
- Political Correctness Watch
- – *A feminist take on the MOAB* *The largest study to look at sex differences in brain anatomy found that women tend to have thicker cortices, wh…7 hours ago
- Dissecting Leftism
- – *Leftists attack pro-Trump rally* *They are violent people driven by hate* A melee erupted on Saturday in a Berkeley, California park where supporters an…7 hours ago
- The UN-safe schools Program gets the well deserved HOOK in NSW -This is my comment on the so called “Safe school” program, that has just had its funding pulled by the NSW Govt. I couldn’t be happier! The focus of add…8 hours ago
- Julian O’Dea
- Wear those stockings … -Wear those stockings to the film, and while I do not have fingertips on your thighs to fondle you, let the lacy tops hold you, delicate, firm, and that bra…9 hours ago
- Information battles: Losing to fake news? -[image: thumbnail_blogs]Conspiracy theories, ‘tinfoil hat’ stuff, was laughed off. Until it took hold. Read more…15 hours ago
- Joyanna Adams
- President Trump: Rebranding America – Nobody Wonders Could one of the reasons that Donald Trump won the Presidency was because, Donald Trump is the master at building his ‘brand?” Fortune 500 c…16 hours ago
- The Global Persecution of Christians – There is no other group on the planet subject to so much persecution, suffering and death as Christians. Primarily at the hands of Islam, Christianity is…18 hours ago
- Churchmouse Campanologist
- Palm Beach: Trumps attend Easter service at Bethesda-by-the-Sea – President Donald Trump and his family attended an Easter service at Palm Beach’s Episcopal church, Bethesda-by-the-Sea, on April 16, 2017. The Palm Beach P…23 hours ago
- Cherie’s Place
- Cherie’s Place – Thought for the Week – Peace is the fairest form of happiness. William Ellery Channing1 day ago
- The Catholic GentlemanThe Catholic Gentleman | The Catholic Gentleman
- Gardening as Medicine for Millennials, and the Rest of Us -The literature on millennials is extensive. And I have not read it. But as a college professor, I have lived and worked with them day in and day out for ma…6 days ago
- The Politically Incorrect Australian
- Hilaire Belloc’s James II: book review -James II Hilaire Belloc’s *James II* appeared in 1928 and it’s typical of its author’s slightly idiosyncratic approach to both history and biography. He h…6 days ago
- Rocking Philosophy
- Cultural Appropriation Double Standards– Cultural appropriation only applies to white people. *Links:* Cultural appropriation Wikipedia entry Dear white people with dreadlocks: Some things to c…1 week ago
- Light Up The Darkness
- Did Abortion Ever Leave the Backstreet? – The post Did Abortion Ever Leave the Backstreet? appeared first on Light Up The Darkness.1 week ago
- Andrew Bolt
- Pharmas whacked by Trump – CSL, Mayne Pharma and Mesoblast took a hit as Trump accused the sector of “getting away with murder”.3 months ago
- Anna Raccoon
- NEW ARRIVALS -3 months ago
- Listening in the Desert
- I’m migrating! -Just a quick note to tell you that I am moving the site from wordpress.com to wordpress.org. This means that on the new site you will be able to buy my Di …7 months ago
- Self-Defensive Christian Man | A Christian Blog Oriented for the Spiritual Protection of Men.
- Hearing God’s Voice, Versus the Enemy’s – To let this out up front, this post is quite personal, but is such an important point for us. We must be able to tell God’s voice apart from the enemy’s. T…2 years ago
- Come, Pray the Rosary | An online Rosary for participation in worldwide or individual prayer
- Quadrant Online
Things are Not as they Seem
Your Top 10 Favourites
- How to – Be naked in Public
- No, the Tavern does not usually host parties of naked people, although it is a Free House and all are welcome. But nakedness has been in t…
- The War on Women
- Updated: See near end. The problems in the Ukraine had a small ‘time-out’ respite during the Olympic Games – which this year did n…
- Hell is coming to Breakfast
- It has been very quiet in the Tavern lately. You know how it is when a Tsunami is coming: the water drains away quickly exposing large swath…
- Aboriginal Entitlement.
- As if feminists weren’t bad enough, even they have much to learn from some other primitives in Hillary’s Village. The talk over th…
- The Great Civil Wars of 2017
- Additional video at the end. V. Important Chaos, we were reminded yesterday, is just a corner away. The effort that is needed to retain and…
- Another ‘False Witness’ Falls
- A wicked calumny against the Catholic Church took a hit to the chin, so we heard the other day. Frankly, any good news is welcome even if a…
- Profit and Doom: Lee Kuan Yew
- A great man, perhaps one of the most effective in the past 70 years, passed away yesterday. He was a Dictator. A Patriarch. A Leader and dri…
- War on Boys: Life in Ruins
- From time to time some matter arises that just makes a chap’s blood boil. The hand itches for the sword. There is much awfulness, crime,…
- “I can Wear what I Want !”
- Remember when the cry of a woman used to be, “I’ve got nothing to wear”? Oh yes, that was just this morning. Most men have h…
- 2014. Good Riddance to Skid Marks.
- We always cheer the passing of a year in the Tavern. A fresh New one is welcomed in Hope. A time to reflect is fleeting and one could harp …
Travel theme. Powered by Bl